Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Perfect Gluten free complete pancake mix

Gluten Less Lifestyle - Pancakes

I love pancakes. More than that, I love not having to run to the neighbor's house to borrow an egg to make pancakes for my kids before school. When I found complete pancake mixes came in a box, the kind where you just add water...and voila! you cook a pancake, I was enthralled. As the kids grew up and left home, the complete pancake mix meant I didn't have to make a batch of pancakes, I could make just one without having to gather all the supplies and having leftovers.

Then, in my fifties, I developed an intolerance to gluten. It's not a digestive issue but a bark-like-a-Baskerville Hound-cough. I found several online sites dedicated to gluten free cooking, and the forums have been wonderful to share ideas and recipes. Lately, I've been experimenting with gluten-free recipes for breads and pancakes. Back to the batch...or hey! There is a gluten-free complete mix in a box. But, it has candy in it. Candy that is not chocolate chips. The texture of the product left something to be desired. I continued to research and experiment, and came up with this recipe. What I love about dehydrated products is that they travel easily. If you camp, they're perfect.

Note- while this recipe is not vegan or dairy-free, it is easily adaptable. It doesn't even need milk, but you can substitute your favorite liquid for reconstitution and leave it out of the dry mix. You can substitute dry ground flax for the egg in the dry mix. You can make or buy dried egg product--Youtube has a number of videos that show how fairly easy it is to make dried eggs if you have a dehydrator. I bought my dried egg mix. Dried shortening is also available on line, where I purchased a can. Please also note that the base of this mix is ground oat flour, so it doesn't have a nice fine even tan exterior when cooked,although again, experiment with temperatures for frying, and the texture is more mealy and chewy, depending on the grind. I made my own in a small blender from rolled oats.

Batch of Complete Dry Gluten Free Pancake Mix
Makes 16-20 pancakes depending on how large (4-6 inches) and how thick or thin you like your batter

2.5 cups ground oat flour
.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar or your dried sweetener (optional, but I added it after experimenting without)
equivalent dry mix of 2 eggs
equivalent dry mix of 2 cups milk
equivalent dry mix of 4 T shortening (also optional, but I added it after experimenting without)

Mix all ingredients and keep in an airtight container. I use a zipper top bag.

This recipe does not need any thickener like xanthum gum as the oat flour has a good texture.
Other additions to the recipe can include vanilla, cinnamon or other flavorings.

To cook, about .25 cups mix to equivalent of water, makes one pancake, 5 inches or so. Start with a little less liquid if you prefer thicker pancakes, add more to make them thinner. They cook quickly and I've found they burn a little more easily, so use a lower heat with your griddle or pan. Fry as you would any other pancake with your choice of oil and any other additions to the mix, like fruit or chocolate chips. Turn when bubbling, one to two or two and a half minutes per side. Below, shown cooking with blueberries and chocolate chips.













No comments:

Post a Comment